How I Used AI Tools to Create and Sell a Printable Coloring Book
![]() |
| How I Used AI Tools to Create and Sell a Printable Coloring Book |
Introduction
I didn’t start this project with a complicated business plan. I started with a simple question: could I turn a small creative idea into a printable product that people would actually want to buy?
The idea was simple: a 32-page ocean animals coloring book for kids ages 4–8. At first, I thought the process would be fairly straightforward. Create the pages. Put them together. Add a cover. Publish the PDF.
It turned out to be more involved than that.
I used Canva and SuperColoring to create the coloring-page artwork, but the AI-generated results still needed my attention. I reviewed the images, selected the ones that fit the project, and checked them for problems. I also used Python and pypdf to combine the pages and fix PDF-related issues before the final file was ready.
Not everything went smoothly.
Some results needed another look before I could use them. I also ran into a real issue involving a seahorse and a clam. That experience made one thing clear: if you’re creating a product with AI, you can’t simply generate the content and walk away.
So, what did the complete process actually look like?
In this article, I’ll walk through the project from the original idea to the finished digital product. I’ll show where the AI tools helped, where I had to make the decisions myself, and what I learned from creating the book.
1. Starting With a Simple Product Idea
I wanted to start with something I could actually finish and sell. Nothing too big. Just a clear idea that I could turn into a real digital product.
A coloring book seemed like a good place to start. I chose an ocean theme because it gave me a clear direction while still leaving room for plenty of different animals and illustrations. I also decided to target kids ages 4–8.
That age range helped shape the project from the beginning. I wasn’t looking for complicated artwork filled with tiny details. I wanted recognizable animals and clean pages that would be easy to use as coloring sheets.
The format was another early decision. I wanted the finished book to be a printable PDF, not simply a collection of images for viewing on a screen. That meant each page had to stand on its own and make sense when printed.
Then came the page count: 32 pages. I chose that as a manageable size for my first project—enough pages to make the book feel complete without making the creation process unnecessarily large.
I liked having a fixed number to work toward. It gave me a clear finish line and kept the first project from growing into something much larger than I had planned.
At this point, I had the basic idea in place: an ocean theme, a specific age group, a printable format, and 32 pages. What I needed next was the actual content for those pages.
That led to the next part of the process: using AI tools to develop the book’s content and decide which ocean animals would make the final collection.
2. Using AI to Develop the Coloring Book Concept
Once I had the basic idea, I had to decide what would actually go on those 32 pages. Coming up with a few ocean animals wasn't difficult. But could I build a full book without making the pages feel too similar?
That was where AI became useful.
I started with the animals I already had in mind and then used AI to expand the list. Instead of stopping with the first few ideas, I asked for additional sea creatures that could give the collection more variety. This helped me discover subjects I might not have considered on my own.
I didn't use every suggestion. With only 32 pages available, I had to compare the ideas and decide which ones actually belonged in the book. Some suggestions were too similar to subjects I had already selected, while others didn't fit the direction I wanted. The goal wasn't to create the longest possible list. I needed a group of subjects that would work together as one coloring book.
I also used AI to help with descriptions and wording during the planning stage. This gave me a clearer starting point for each page before I moved on to creating the artwork. Rather than opening an image generator without a clear target, I could work through the subjects one by one.
That made the next stage much easier. The book now had a fixed page count, a planned selection of sea creatures, and a clearer idea of what each page needed to become.
The planning was finished. Now I had to see whether I could turn those ideas into coloring pages that actually worked.
That was where Canva and SuperColoring came into the process.
3. Creating the Coloring Pages With AI Tools
For the actual pictures, I used two tools: Canva and SuperColoring's AI Coloring Page Generator.
Would the generated images actually be good enough to use in the book?
I created the coloring-page images from the subjects I had planned in the previous stage. I wasn't looking for complicated artwork. I'm not trying to fill the pages with unnecessary details. The drawings needed clear outlines and a simple design that would work when printed and colored.
The important part came after generating the images. I had to look at the results myself and decide what could stay. Some images were useful, while others weren't a good fit for the book. I checked the drawings for unclear shapes, unnecessary details, and anything that looked wrong or inconsistent.
One problem I remember from this project involved a seahorse and a clam. I noticed it while reviewing the generated pages, which meant I had to stop and check the result before treating that page as finished.
So the process wasn't simply generate, download, and move on. I went through the results, kept the images that worked, and rejected the ones that didn't. I repeated that process until I had the artwork needed for the 32-page collection.
Once the images were selected, the creative part was mostly done. I still had to turn those separate images into one properly ordered PDF, which required a different set of tools.
That came next.
4. Turning the AI-Generated Pages Into a Printable PDF
Once I had the images I wanted to keep, I still didn't have a finished coloring book. I had 32 separate pages that needed to become one printable file.
I first put the selected pages in the correct order. I wanted the final document to follow the sequence I had planned rather than simply combining the images in whatever order they happened to be stored.
For the PDF preparation, I used Python and pypdf. I used them to combine the 32 pages into a single PDF and deal with PDF-related issues that came up during the process.
After creating the file, I checked the resulting document instead of assuming everything had worked correctly. I went through the pages to make sure they were in the right order and that the PDF opened properly as one complete document.
This part took the project beyond simply creating images. The artwork was ready, but the individual pages still had to be assembled into something that could actually be printed and used as a book.
Once those checks were done, I had the completed 32-page PDF. The interior was ready, but the product still needed a cover and a clear presentation before I could publish it.
That was the next step.
5. Creating the Cover and Product Presentation
By this point, the inside of the book was ready. I had the 32-page PDF — but something was still missing: the cover.
For this part, I used Canva. The title I settled on was Cute Ocean Animals Coloring Book: 32 Adorable Sea Creatures to Color, with Ages 4–8 included right on the cover.
But what does a cover actually need to do? More than look good — it has to tell someone seeing the product for the first time exactly what they're looking at. The subtitle gives the subject and page count, while the age range makes the intended audience clear at a glance.
I also double-checked the details against the finished PDF. The book has 32 coloring pages, so that number on the cover had to match exactly. The ocean theme needed to fit what was actually inside, too.
I wasn't designing a cover just to have one. I wanted the outside to match the product I'd already built.
Once the cover was done, the separate pieces finally started to feel like one product: a finished interior, a complete PDF, and a cover that tied everything together.
There was still one step before the book was actually for sale: publishing it. For that, I chose Gumroad.
6. Publishing the Coloring Book on Gumroad
Finishing the book felt good, but I knew the project wasn't really finished yet. I had a PDF sitting on my computer. I still needed to turn it into a product that someone could actually buy.
For this project, I chose Gumroad.
I uploaded the finished PDF and added the cover first. Then I started working through the product page. The title and description had to match the book, and I checked the details against the actual file as I went.
The price was $2.99. I also entered the details a buyer would want to know: it is a digital PDF with 32 coloring pages, formatted for 8.5 × 11-inch paper, and intended for kids ages 4–8. I added personal and classroom use to the product information as well.
Once the basic setup was done, I stopped and looked at the page as a buyer rather than as the person who had created the book. Would I understand what I'm buying? Does the page count match the cover? Does the description tell me what I will receive?
That quick change of perspective caught my attention. I had spent most of the project thinking about pages, images, and files. Now I had to think about how the finished work looked to someone who knew nothing about the process behind it.
After checking the listing and making sure the information matched, I published the product.
Seeing it as a live product was different from seeing the PDF on my computer. It now had a price, a sales page, and a link I could share.
That also made the next problem obvious. Making the book available doesn't make people discover it.
I had created the product. Now I needed to figure out how to get it in front of people.
That was where promotion came in.
7. Promoting the Finished Product
Publishing the book on Gumroad was one thing. Getting people to notice it was another.
Before thinking about promotion, I wanted the finished product to be easy to understand. The Gumroad page shows the cover and explains what the buyer gets, while the actual PDF contains the complete coloring book.
If you want to see the complete book, you can get it from my Gumroad product page
I started promoting the book in a small way. I created 2 Pins on Pinterest for the coloring book and used the product itself as the focus. I didn't run paid ads or build a complicated marketing campaign. At this point, I simply wanted to get the book in front of potential buyers and see what happened.
Then I checked Gumroad Analytics.
The product hadn't received any views or sales yet.
Honestly, I was hoping to see at least some activity. Instead, there was nothing yet. After putting time into the pages, the PDF, the cover, and the Gumroad listing, seeing those numbers was a reality check.
The book was available, but that didn't mean people knew it was there.
I could create more Pins, write about the book, and try other ways of getting it in front of potential buyers. But I don't have enough results yet to know which approach will actually bring visitors or sales.
I also don't want to make the project sound more successful than it is. There are no sales numbers to celebrate yet, and I haven't collected enough traffic data to draw any conclusions.
For now, I'm treating the book as a small experiment. The product is live, I've started promoting it with 2 Pinterest Pins, and I have a real starting point from which to measure what happens next.
The book was finally out there. But before moving on, there was something else I needed to look at: how well the finished pages had actually turned out.
8. What I Learned From the Process
After putting the 32 pages together, I was ready to call the book finished. Before publishing it, I opened the PDF and started checking the pages from the beginning.
Page 1 was fine. So were the next few pages.
On page 12, I stopped.
The illustration was a clam, but the label underneath said “Seahorse.”
I changed the label to “Clam” and went through the rest of the pages. I didn't find any other mismatch. It was the only one in the 32-page book.
The mistake wasn't in the artwork. The image was right; the text was wrong. Looking at the completed page made that easy to spot.
That final pass gave me something I hadn't had while creating the pages one at a time: a chance to see the book as a finished product. For this project, that was enough to catch the one error before publication.
Conclusion
I started this project with a simple idea: create a small coloring book that I could actually finish and sell.
That idea became Cute Ocean Animals Coloring Book, a 32-page printable PDF for kids ages 4–8. I used Canva and SuperColoring to create the artwork, Python and pypdf to put the pages together, and Canva again for the cover. Then I uploaded the finished product to Gumroad and priced it at $2.99.
Getting from the first idea to a live product was the part I wanted to experience. I now know what that process actually looks like, including the work that happens outside the AI tools.
The book is live, but the results are still at zero: 0 views and 0 sales so far. I also created 2 Pinterest Pins to start promoting it. That's not enough data to tell me what will happen next. It does, however, give me a real starting point instead of an idea sitting on my computer.
For me, that's what made the project useful. I didn't just experiment with AI tools. I used them as part of a complete process that ended with something I could actually put up for sale.
Now the next challenge is different. The book is already created. It's published. The question is whether people will discover it.
References
Canva. Canva AI. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://www.canva.com/canva-ai/
SuperColoring. AI Coloring Page Generator. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://www.supercoloring.com/tool/ai-coloring-page-generator
pypdf Community. The PdfWriter Class. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://pypdf.readthedocs.io/en/6.4.0/modules/PdfWriter.html
Gumroad. Gumroad Features: Sell Digital Products, Memberships & Courses. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://gumroad.com/features
Canva. Canva AI. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://www.canva.com/canva-ai/
SuperColoring. AI Coloring Page Generator. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://www.supercoloring.com/tool/ai-coloring-page-generator
pypdf Community. The PdfWriter Class. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://pypdf.readthedocs.io/en/6.4.0/modules/PdfWriter.html
Gumroad. Gumroad Features: Sell Digital Products, Memberships & Courses. Accessed September 16, 2026. https://gumroad.com/features


No comments:
Post a Comment